Grub Manual

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 13:13:12 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>    The problem is that the pdf is the exact copy of info grub. It is
> written by the guys who wrote Grub. It is very hard to read and contains
> no examples of how you USE Grub. This was my original problem with Grub.
> When I decided to put /boot and /home in their own partitions I
> discovered that the Grub docs stink. I want a better user document for
> Grub.

The things that are confusing are that grub only knows about one
partition, which is the one where it is loading its config, ramdisk and
the kernel from, so this is naturally the root while grub is booting,
and it knows it only by bios conventions, since bios is the only way it
can access anything before the kernel loads.  Since grub isn't Linux
specific, the docs and commands don't use Linux device name conventions
even when they could (for the install steps).  Also, /etc/grub.conf is a
symlink for convenience just to match typical Linux conventions for
where you expect config files to be.  The real copy of this file has to
be in /boot/grub/.  When you try to move your /boot partition around or
have alternates, the symlink can end up pointing at a different place
than the one actualy used during booting.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com