Newbie Info

Danny Mooney danny-mooney at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 17:47:12 UTC 2007

Dan
www.osagecountycycles.com
www.immaculateconception-pawhuska.org
www.nhs1967.com
918-287-4780

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:17 PM
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: RE: Newbie Info

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:37 -0500, Danny Mooney wrote:
> Sorry about that Mr. Smith like I stated very new to linux and not only am
> learning but have to teach others in household.

We get it, Danny.  The thing is, Linux generally uses totally different
filesystems than Windows does and Linux filesystems don't require
defragging as the Windows ones do.

Now, Linux can use Windows filesystems, but there are limitations.
The classic Windows FAT-style systems don't support the concept of file
permissions based on user, group, others that Linux does.  Linux deals
with that pretty well and you can use a FAT filesystem easily.

NTFS is a different beast.  They can be used under Linux, but generally
only in a read-only mode.  There is read/write support, but it's limited
(you can only write on existing files, you can't make the files any
bigger than they already are, you can't create directories, etc.).  In
other words, you can't change the way the filesystem is structured.  The
_content_ can be changed, the _structure_ can't be.

Oh, one other thing.  On this list (and most Linux-based lists), we
prefer bottom-posting (placing your response AFTER what you're
responding to), as I've done here.  This keeps the flow of the message
clean.  We also tend to prune extra content off the messages (again, as
I've done here).

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions you may have.  There are some
very bright bulbs here on this list and we try to be helpful.  Don't
be shy!