Does the font look weird on this site?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 19 14:43:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 17:20 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> Short answer:  Webpage author is a moron.
>
> Craig White:
> > don't hold back now - tell us what you really think.
>
> They don't know what they're doing, and they're making things difficult
> for their readers.
>
> > FWIW - I looked at the site on my Windows system.
> >
> > Firefox 2.0.0.6 looked pretty much the same as on Fedora Firefox
> >
> > Internet Explorer 7 it looked much better...but the left column type
> > was larger than on Firefox.
>
> That'll just depend on what fonts you have available on each, and how
> your display is rendered.
----
actually, that is not true any longer. It has become common for web
designers to identify OS and Browsers being used and to offer different
markup and stylesheets for the various browsers and OS's installed.

Thus if you 'view source' you may see entirely different source
depending upon these and other variables.
----

> > Thus the web designer might need to tweak for other browsers or
> other
> > browser users need to know about <Control><Numeric keypad + > switch
> > to enlarge the type
>
> Users shouldn't have to do that sort of thing, at all.  The author has
> picked the smallest font possible.  Using absolute sizes in HTML, they
> range from 1 to 7.  One is smallest, two is smaller than normal, three
> is normal, seven is largest.  Or, to put it another way, one is fine
> print.  That's a *stupid* size to pick for headings or body text.
----
I agree that users shouldn't have to do that sort of thing. I also feel
that a well designed web site would be evaluated with many different
browsers on many different OS's and adjusted for a reasonable display
for all. Unfortunately, many web sites are not designed with users other
than Windows/IE but that is becoming less of a problem these days. In
this case (the chattanoogan - it's sloppy and poorly designed)
----
> The moron side of that comes in two parts:  (1) not knowing that it's
> stupid to do such a thing, and (2) not adjusting their own monitor for
> their own prefences instead of stuffing up the page.
----
what?
----
> Unless there's good reason, and there wasn't, authors shouldn't mess
> with font sizes on webpages.  Especially with body text.
----
They simply were lazy.

Craig