Newbie Info

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 19 20:38:06 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007, Danny Mooney wrote:
> I have one computer in the household running Fedora 6 and the one I am on
> right now is a Gov XP on a Dell system that I am required to use in my
> work. My question is on the Fedora side is there a defrag program that can
> be run on Fedora in a schedule or otherwise?

Yes, there is a defragmenter for ext2 available.  Fedora by default uses ext3;
it can be converted to ext2 and defragmented.

That being said, it is almost never necessary to defragment an ext2 or ext3
filesystem.  I say 'almost' never, because there is one situation where
defragmentation can become necessary, and that's when you've filled your
filesystem over about 95% full, a situation that in the default install can
only happen to root (or a root process), since the filesystem ordinarily has
10% or so reserved for root.  In this singular instance, defragmenting can
have dramatic results.

Unfortunately, the defragger only works on unmounted filesystems, and isn't
very good.  The standard way of defragging under linux, therefore, is to copy
everything to another filesystem, reinitialize the filesystem, and copy
everything back.  Since usage of a defragger is so rare, a good defragger
hasn't been written.  The existing one is, creatively enough,
called 'defrag.'
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer