Grub Manual

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:38:12 UTC 2007

on 10/19/2007 6:20 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 12:31 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> Doesn't it make you nostalgic for the MS-DOS/Windows notion of drive
>> letters?  Man, compared to this, that was simplicity itself. 8^) 8^)
>> (and just for emphasis) 8^)
>
> NO!  What drive letter will my second partition be today?  Will it be
> "d" (as I'd like), or "e" (because there's a CD-ROM)?  Will it be "f"
> because I plugged in another drive, even though I plugged it in later in
> the chain.
>
> Likewise for booting from a CD.  After doing so, the drive letters can
> re-arrange, especially if the CD installed some pseudo device.
>
> It's that sort of crap (shuffling positions) that made me dispair of the
> decision to make all Linux hard drives /dev/sd<something>.

Never really tried to get 'into' the Windows that you were using did you?
The CD drive's letter can be assigned anything that you wanted it to be,
say, Z, and it would never change. The A, B, C, stuff comes from DOS and
early computers. It really has nothing to do with Windows. Microsoft just
followed the path same as the others.

You have got to be talking Windows circa 98 times. It has not been like
you describe since 2000 or so.

--

  David