Newbie still learning

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 20 00:45:17 UTC 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>What, and give up procmail filtering?  You must be joking. ;)
>>
>> Who said you have to do that?  I fetchmail 3 servers, and procmail
>> acts on all of them interchangeably.
>
>Ahh, so you can use POP3 with a gmail account then?  So what's the
>benefit of using it over any other email address if you're pulling it
>all down to the same place?

Yup, pop3, and it all goes to me that's true, but verizon has this strange
idea that any mailing list with thousands of recipients must be spam, so they
started refusing lkml, screams and descriptive language at their service desk
people (now there's another oxymoron, like military intelligence) went in one
ear and out the other and I had to re-sub to lkml through gmail.  I have
another list that comes in through gmail too. As long as kmail doesn't forget
where it comes from when I reply, everythings kewl.

gmail must be putting pressure on vz, I see the last time I actually logged
into that account, that my 10 meg mailbox now purports to be 2GB.  But that
won't make me use their busted webmailer ever.  That whole concept is broken
AFAIAC.  When I go on the road to put out a fire at some tv station (tv
engineering was my game, I keep trying to retire but at 73 I'm still on call,
& it pays well), I shut fetchmail off on this box, and enable it on my lappy
& as long as the motel has a connection its all the same to me.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)