Grub Manual

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 02:27:06 UTC 2007

on 10/19/2007 10:09 PM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
> David Boles:
>> Never really tried to get 'into' the Windows that you were using did you?
>> The CD drive's letter can be assigned anything that you wanted it to be,
>> say, Z, and it would never change.
>
> Yes, you could change the CD, but hard drive letters were another
> matter.  Later releases did let you pick what you wanted.  But, if you
> hadn't preset things, it was apt to change letters around if you added
> or removed drives.
>
>> The A, B, C, stuff comes from DOS and early computers. It really has
>> nothing to do with Windows. Microsoft just followed the path same as the
>> others.
>
> May well be, but that was how it behaved.
>
>> You have got to be talking Windows circa 98 times. It has not been like
>> you describe since 2000 or so.
>
> Nup, watched that malarkey happen on a friend's Windows 2000 and XP
> boxes.

Hmm...  The drive letters will change when you add or remove drives. But
most people that add and remove drives have some idea of what it is that
they are doing. And they don't do it as often as they put on or remove
their shoes.

I have *never* done this, physically add/remove drives thing, in an
installed Linux myself but I would be willing to bet that Linux, any
brand, would get confused too.

That is what the $PATH, in Linux or Windows, is for I think.  ;-)

--

  David