Grub Manual

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Oct 20 03:06:04 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

> No, you always mount the filesystems under the same names in  Linux, but
> that moves the problem to the grub configuration and /etc/fstab where
> you tell it what partitions to mount.  Auto-detected labels on
> filesystems that support them are supposed to solve this problem, but a
> default install puts the same labels on every installation so as soon as
> you try to move and re-use some drives the problem is even worse.

Especially when one clones a drive:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hde

as I've done. It was a problem with RHL 7.x or so when RH introduced
labels, and nothing's been done about it that I've noticed.

As far back as, I think it was 1971 with IBM's OS, (I'm referring to my
memory, not when this started), if the operating systems found two
volumes[1][2] with the same label[3], it would ask what to do (during
IPL aka boot) or reject the newer (later).

[1] Disk or tape
[2] One volume, one filesystem.

OS labels (it's z/OS these days) volumes whereas Linux labels
filesystems. It's not quite the same, to label a disk volume under
Linux, one would write it to the MBR or other space outside the
partition/filesystem.

--

Cheers
John