Grub Manual

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 20 17:35:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:28:13 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> For further curiosity's sake, did she acquire the injury while using
> computer keyboards?

I think she has a genetic predisposition toward having carpal tunnel, and that
was/is aggravated by typing.  Her mother (who barely knows what a computer is)
has it to a lesser degree, as do at least one of her sisters.

> I learnt on manual typewriters, and while a painful thing to do at
> times, I think the aches stop you from working too far.  Computer
> keyboards, on the other hand (pun intended), do lead you to working very
> prolonged periods not moving much from where you are (hands, and body),
> doing awkward movements with your fingers, particular with some hotkey
> combinations.

Your hands just get tired and you have to stop sooner or at least slow down
with a manual typewriter.  I learned to type on heavy manual Underwoods -- I
was the only boy in Typing Class.  I'm really glad that I took it; it's the one
skill that I learned in high school that I can say I use every day of my life.
Of course, at the time I had no idea why I was taking it other than that it
sounded like something that would be a good thing to know how to do.

I remember that toward the end of my last year in high school they got one
electric typewriter for the class from somewhere or other that everyone got to
try out.  We only had it for one day, though, so I don't remember too much
about it.

I'm not really sure what my wife learned to type on, but it would probably have
been manual typewriters of some kind as well.

> If anything, it's the mouse that causes me pains.

I would certainly agree with that.  Handling a mouse for long periods gets to
me as well.

> > We both find that using Microsoft Natural Keyboards makes typing a lot
> > more comfortable.
>
> I recently got one of those, and I'm beginning to like it.

It takes a bit of getting used to but once you have one you'll never even
consider anything else.

>Though it's next to impossible to type on one
> one-handed, the curve goes the wrong way for that.

Get thee a telephone operator's headset and you will find things much easier to
do.  They even make them in "wireless" now.