Grub Manual

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:51:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 12:00 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > This isn't quite the way that you're describing, but I've set all of the
> > computers in our school to boot from PXE, and the default option in the
> > pxelinux.cfg/default is to boot from the local hard drive.  Whenever I
> > want to re-image the computers, I just change the default option and
> > send WOL to the computers.
>
> I want to give the option to the computer user, not have to change it on
> the dhcp server.  A PXE-booted grub menu would be great if one of the
> choices could be to boot locally and another could be to network boot as
> a thin client.  Even better if another non-default choice could be to
> boot into a network install.

Sorry, I should have clarified.  Yes, that's exactly what I mean except
it's not grub that has the menu, but rather pxelinux.  Mike Wright's
e-mail on this thread has an example.

> > The other thing you might try would be to use Rom-o-matic to generate an
> > etherboot floppy image for your network card and write it to a small
> > (~1MB) partition on your hard drive.  Then, in Grub do the whole
> > rootnoverify(hd0,x), chainloader +1 and see how that works.  I haven't
> > actually tried this method, but it seems that it should work.
>
> Going this route, I'd rather not have to dedicate a partition.  Is there
> any way to put it in /boot along with a linux boot setup?

As far as I can tell, no.  Grub is able to grab files from a filesystem,
but I don't think it can set its root device to be a file.

Jonathan