Rootkit

Doug Wyatt dwyatt at sunflower.com
Sun Oct 21 03:31:48 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I put rootkit in Google and learned they are mainly aimed at Windows.
> I know Windows from about XP have a kernel but it really does little.
> The rootkit designs I saw were aimed at the kernel for some reason. No
> where could I find mention of a Linux rootkit.

FWIW, I been running rkhunter on Unix and Linux systems for several
years, on a regular basis.  I also occasionally run chkrootkit, but
I like rkhunter better.  It checks for more than 100 rootkits and
trojans <http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html>

And it checks md5 values for a number of files, in the easiest case
against the rpm db.  e.g. rkhunter -c --pkgmgr rpm

Regards,
Doug Wyatt