Grub Manual

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 05:30:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 17:22 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jonathan Dieter wrote:

> >> Going this route, I'd rather not have to dedicate a partition.  Is there
> >> any way to put it in /boot along with a linux boot setup?
> >
> Etherboot will produce bootable floppy images. I don't remember for
> sure, but I believe it will also produce a Grub loadable image just
> like  Memtest86 does. Chainloading to the floppy image should work,
> but if it will produce a directly loadable file, that would be better.

You know, I hadn't thought of that, but memtest86 does work without
needing a separate partition.  You're right.  So obviously it can work.
Les, if I were you, I'd check out rom-o-matic and see what formats it
will generate for you.  Also, install memtest86 and see how it modifies
grub.conf and where it installs the image.

> > As far as I can tell, no.  Grub is able to grab files from a filesystem,
> > but I don't think it can set its root device to be a file.
> >
> The Grub root device is where the base of where it looks for the
> file. According to the manual, you can use a file name in the
> chanloader command, or specify where to read from, and how much to
> read. So something like "chainloader boot.img" should work. I
> believe there was a thread on this before where we were using a
> floppy image designed to let you boot from a CD on systems where the
> BIOS did not support it to give Grub a boot from CD option.

I stand corrected.  Obviously grub is far more flexible than I was
originally thinking.

Jonathan