booting newer kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Oct 21 16:52:02 UTC 2007

Greetings but not happy ones at this point;

I have a daughter dieing of cancer and I need to take my lappy with me, to run
roadnav among other things while I'm on the road and do email while there,
halfway across the country.

I just tried to boot my lappy to the newest kernel, and it got into a fight
with whatever the hell b43 is, looping through all sorts of Ooops messages
interminably.  Somebody changed horses in the middle of the river here.

So 15 minutes later I had to ctl-alt-del it and try the next one in the list
grub gave me.  That worked fine because I'd had a chance to do an ndiswrapper
install for my bcm4318 wireless card.  And that, despite all the ranting and
poo-pooing about linux purity, Just Works(TM).  And that's what I need, not
excuses, hand waving and finger pointing.

Short of nuking the wlan0 stuff, is there any way to boot it past that and get
to a point where I can login and do the ndiswrapper install against this
newer kernel?

With all the hardlinks somebody saw fit to put in there, you make nuking it
damned difficult.  Make up your collective minds about where its supposed to
live and put it there.  Then leave it the hell alone so we can get something
done instead of screwing around for 30 hours trying to get a 20 minute job
done.

Or am I stuck with the older kernel 2.6.22.4-65 till 2.6.25 is out since the
b43 stuff somehow managed to miss the 2.6.24 merge window, and linux is once
again 18 damned months behind on what little wireless support it has unless
your people want to bypass the kernel tree?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)