DHCP & DNS

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 01:20:31 UTC 2007

On 10/21/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Jacques B. wrote:
> > On 10/21/07, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> >> k5di.com doesn't belong to you.  In fact, it doesn't appear to belong to anyone
> >> at this moment.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what kinds of problems can be caused by using a .com domain name
> >> when it's not yours, but I don't think it can lead to anything good.
> >>
> >> You would be well advised to either register k5di.com (which doesn't have to be
> >> expensive) or use another domain name that you do own, or simply stick with
> >> localhost.localdomain
> >>
> >> --
> >> MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> >>

> > It doesn't cause any problems to use it in one's host file as long as
> > there isn't a site also by that domain name that you wish to visit.
> > I've created some false domain names for a classroom exercise and then
> > had the students populate their /etc/hosts file accordingly so that
> > when I had them navigate to the domain name in question they ended up
> > on a local server on our network.
> >
> > In Karl's case when he puts that domain name in his address bar it
> > navigates to the IP he has there.  The only consequence would be if
> > that domain name was registered.  And then the impact would be to Karl
> > only.  He would not be able to navigate to it because your machine
> > uses /etc/hosts to resolve domain names first.  If not in there it
> > goes out to your DNS server.  So Karl's PC would resolve that domain
> > to the IP he has hence it would navigate to that IP, not to the IP for
> > the publicly registered domain by the same name.
> >
> > I've modified my hosts file and put in the IP of my router and then
> > put in router for the domain name.  Now when I enter router in my
> > address bar I navigate to my router.  Likewise at work I did the same
> > for our email server.  I put in its IP and "mail" for the domain name.
> >  So I simply have to put mail in the address bar to navigate to my
> > webmail server.
> >
> > Jacques B.
> >

>     Thank you.
>
> --
>
>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>         Linux User
>         #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>
> --

Welcome.  It's a convenient way to provide a website which does not
have a domain name with a domain name unique to your local machine as
you've done.  Or if instead of writing a very long domain name you can
do as you've done and resolve the IP for that domain name to something
shorter.  Of course using bookmarks can provide similar convenience.
But modifying one's host file can be convenient.  Try it for your
router/gateway.  Put its IP in your host file and then provide it
"router" as a domain name.  Then simply enter "router" in your
browser's address bar and voilà, you've navigated to your router
without the fuss of using its IP.

Sorry Steve, drifted a bit there.  Are you simply asking if the
machines can ping each other?  If that is your question, yes they can
in your scenario seeing they are getting an IP and subnet mask from
your DHCP server and hence on the same subnet.

Or are you asking if there is a way to have one machine be able to
ping the other without having to know its IP seeing it is dynamic?  My
suggestion there would be to have your DHCP server assign static IPs
(if it has that feature).  In absence of that feature manually
configure the static IP/subnet mask of the machines (ensuring it's the
same subnet as your router/gateway).

Also where you mention the host file, are you saying that both
machines are web servers with a domain name?

Jacques B.