kmail problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 22 05:07:24 UTC 2007

On Monday 22 October 2007, Mail List wrote:
>On Sunday 21 October 2007 09:38:35 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Trying to get a duplicate of this mail system I have on this FC6 machine
>> working on my F7 lappy, but I've run into a kmail config problem I can't
>> find the answer to.
>>
>> Here, I have procmail delivering to /var/spool/mail/gene, which is a
>> _mailfile_.
>>
>> Apparently the newer kmail seems bent on working only with MailDirs.
>
>    I stopped doing this a while back so my recommendation is a little
>different than what you expect but it may solve your troubles anyway.
>
>   I like to be able to change mail clients and not worry about any  format
>issues - the best way i know to do that is to never have local mail files.
>And its very simple to do.

Unforch, thats what procmail has been doing here for several years, with 100%
reliable results.

And I did find an answer of sorts, since kmail never accesses the net, only
local stuff that fetchmail and procmail pull in and store in mailfile format,
and that was to make all accounts Local Accounts, which appear to be mailfile
by default.  Kmail's own folders are directories of course, after the filters
have sorted the incoming mail into about 45 different folders.

Of course all sending accounts are smtp, direct to the appropriate server from
kmail, I assume via sendmail.

>    I run a local imap server - simply edit /etc/dovecot.conf and service
>start dovecot ; chkconfig dovecot on.  dovecot can happily see older unix
>style mailfiles - although I changed my delivery to maildir as well - has a
>lot of advantages esp if your mail folder gets large.

I've tried to change this machine over to dovecot, but could never get past
the startup errors that made it exit, and the messages faintly resemble
swahili to me.  I've even copy/pasted them into posts on this list quite a
goodly number of moons ago, without getting a single helpfull reply, so I
came to the conclusion that my questions must have been pretty dumb.

>   Then point your mail client at the imap server on 127.0.0.1.
>
>    I find it best to keep all my mail on the imap server - inlcuding sent
>mail etc - if you have local files - you can simply drag and drop the local
>ones to the imap server after creating the folder structure you need.
>
>    Now if you ever want/need to use thuderbird  - or evo and whatever other
>mail client .. you can - and go back to kmail at will.

TBird, I've used in the past, yuck...

>    good luck.

Thanks.

--