Booting from a USB stick

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 22 13:50:13 UTC 2007

I just put the Fedora KDE Live CD on a USB stick,
and succeeded in booting 2 machines with it,
one a very small VIA EPIA machine.
Both worked fine

I followed the instructions at
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo>
but found one part didn't work for me.

You are advised to write the MBR with
        cat /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sdb
This didn't work, and I did what I would have done anyway:
        dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb

The other point is that rather surprisingly
the instructions did not point to the ISO required.

Finally, I found the USB stick was (perhaps not surprisingly)
mounted read-only, so one could not eg add a user;
or rather, one could, but it was not there on re-booting.