Convert avi and vob files to ipod video format

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Oct 22 23:58:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 18:43 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> How can I convert either *.avi or *.vob files to a format that can be
> synced to my new iPod Nano -- the wide one? 8 Gb. I have no previous
> iPod experience. Then I sync this with Amarok? I have a teacher who
> sends everyone in the class *.avi video files and I'd love to play them
> back on the Nano. I also want to see if I can copy a James Bond movie
> DVD to the iPod and play the movie.
----
this has the basics...
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Rip_DVD_mencoder

this is the whole enchilada...
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/06/07/howto-batch-encode-video-for-ipod-under-linux-2007-edition

but you have to build gpac manually (at least I had to) and there's a
few requisites to getting it built.

I actually have modified that script (it's still a bit tacky) to break
the DVD's 'chapters' into files because I am doing mostly music DVD's
and it's nice to be able to jump from song to song.

Feel free to check in with questions.

I also wrote a script to do bulk conversions of youtube stuff onto my
iPod

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>