not possible

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 23 03:00:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 16:39 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Again two hard drives IDE and SATA. Now SATA is /dev/sdf (hd5,2) and
> fdisk finds it with no problem. But when I try to set up grub with:
>
> grub> root (hd5,2) it errors out saying no such location! Why can't grub
> see that SATA drive?

GRUB counts hard drives, doesn't care where they're attached, it only
counts the hard drives, skipping other drives.

e.g.

Port            Connected   Older Linux    Grub
IDE1 primary    HDD         /dev/hda       hd0
IDE1 secondary  nothing     /dev/hdb

IDE2 primary    CD-ROM      /dev/hdc
IDE2 secondary  Zip drive   /dev/hdd

IDE3 primary    HDD         /dev/hde       hd1
IDE3 secondary  HDD         /dev/hdf       hd2

I've picked on the older Linux scheme of absolutely referencing drives,
being something that many of us are very familiar with, and to show what
consistency versus inconsistency does for getting predictable results.
I haven't worked out how the new /dev/sdx scheme will work, but I
suspect you'd see this sort of thing:

Port            Connected   Older Linux
---------------------------------------
IDE1 primary    HDD         /dev/sda
IDE1 secondary  nothing

IDE2 primary    CD-ROM      /dev/sdb
IDE2 secondary  Zip drive   /dev/sdc

IDE3 primary    HDD         /dev/sdd
IDE3 secondary  HDD         /dev/sde

And, if you plugged in an external USB drive, and *if* your BIOS will
use USB first when there's something on it, you could expect them all to
shift to higher letters, with your USB drive being /dev/sda.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.