OT: Colorado Rockies computer's crash which OS?

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Tue Oct 23 08:03:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 20:43 -0600, Ski Dawg wrote:

> > The story does have the name of the company though (Paciolan) and
> > if you search for their job openings you'll find them recruiting
> > on college campuses for folks with Oracle, DB2, java, and Linux
> > experience, so it seems likely that Linux is the underlying
> > system.
>
> Maybe they have decided to move to Linux from their current platform ;)
>
> Anyway, there has been an update that says the site was down (in fact
> they claim their entire North American operations where impacted)
> because of an attack from an unknown source(s).
> -

Hmm, mebbe I'm just a cynic at heart, but that smells a bit odd. I can
see a DDOS happening, possibly even with the goal of blocking online
ticket sales while scalpers snatched up all the available tickets by
other means. But I can also see a company completely misjudging the
potential server load and then crying wolf when their junk red-lined.

Andy