error using xen and FC6

Msquared sub2.fedoralist at msquared.id.au
Tue Oct 23 08:58:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 05:39:06PM +0200, Guillaume wrote:

> > Unless you have hardware virtualisation, you cannot run Windows under
> > Xen.
> >
> > Your choices for virtualisation are
> > 1. hardware
> > 2. Virtual PC under Windows
> > 3. Vmware.
>
> Ok, thanks for your help. I'll try this on a VT enable computer.  But i
> thought that like in virtual PC or vmware i was able to install any OS
> without any specific hardware. Thank you for the tips.

The advantage of a product like VMware is that it allows you to run an
unmodified OS (eg Win XP) without processor support (ie: on an older
process without Vanderpool or Pacifica).

The disadvantage is that this capability (emulating hardware without
processor support) involves more overhead.

Mind you, even running an unmodified OS on a VT-capable CPU still requires
more overhead than running a Xen-aware OS on any CPU.

Regards, Msquared...