not possible

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Tue Oct 23 12:53:23 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From:	fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Karl Larsen
Sent:	Tue 10/23/2007 08:28 AM
To:	tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie; For users of Fedora
Subject:	Re: not possible

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>     That does not sound like progress. But it sounds different and would
>> mean you cannot live without labels and the whole thing will be a mess
>> to understand.
>>

> As a matter of interest, why do you find partition labels difficult to use,
> or hard to understand?

    LABEL=/ used by F7 only tells me that it is a partition. I have zero
information as to where it is. Replaced by "/dev/sda3" tells me exactly
where it is.

Karl
--------------------------

Read the man page for findfs(8), which in part says:

NAME
       findfs - Find a filesystem by label or UUID

DESCRIPTION
       findfs  will  search  the  disks in the system looking for a filesystem
       which has a label matching label or a  UUID  equal  to  uuid.   If  the
       filesystem is found, the device name for the filesystem will be printed
       on stdout.

It works like this:

# findfs LABEL=/boot
/dev/sda1