Experiencing the Grub Error 17

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:09:55 UTC 2007

On 23/10/2007, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all who have generously help me! Now, my system is working,
> but still with the grub prompt when booting. The wise thing to do
> would be a clean install of F7, but the installation dvd contains a
> buggy kernel, and it does not boot here. Then, I will wait for F8.
> Until F8 is release, I will have to live with the annoying grub
> prompt.

Why? What do you mean with "grub prompt"? Do you need to type in
"configfile (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf" to get the boot menu or what?

After you've booted into F7, running "grub-install /dev/sda" should
fix it, as GRUB needs to learn about the root device once (so it knows
where to finds its images). That assumes that your
/boot/grub/grub.conf is correct, however, and that it points GRUB to
the right /boot partition, which is /dev/sda2 = (hd0,1) in your case,
which is mounted on /boot when you're in F7, and which really must
contain the grub/grub.conf file. Make sure you don't mount and work on
/dev/sdc2 instead.

At the GRUB command-prompt, "find /grub/grub.conf" should return
(hd0,1) at least.

[Or perhaps you've played too much with the various symlinks like
/boot/grub/menu.lst -> grub.conf" and /etc/grub.conf ->
/boot/grub/grub.conf and now have lots of separate config files? ;)]