hitch installing 7 from http

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Wed Oct 24 18:08:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 11:52 -0500, Art Gibbens wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I’ve run into a hitch trying to install Fedora 7 on to an old Gateway
> P2 266 machine with only 128 Megs of RAM. I’ve tried installing from a
> live CD (even though documentation says you need 192 Megs of RAM) and
> it just crawls to a halt. So, I start the install again with a boot CD
> and I get the nice familiar 16 color interactive GUI screens for doing
> the install. The hitch is this, whenever you try to use the http
> method (or ftp for that matter) you are asked to provide the URL for
> the website and then the folder path for the os folder to get to the
> image files. The problem is this – it doesn’t seem to matter what you
> type in either line, by default the program inserts a forward slash at
> the end of the first line and at the beginning of the second line
> causing an error to come back saying that it is unable to retrieve the
> minstg2.img image file. Now, I could be typing incorrectly, but I’ve
> tried every combination I can thing of on three different mirrors and
> I cannot get it to go. Anybody got any thoughts out there on either
> coaxing the live CD to go with only 128 Megs of RAM or getting the
> http method to go past the error?
>

> Thanx gang,
>

> Art
>

> PS. I looked in the archives (but didn’t do an exhaustive search) and
> didn’t see anything like this there in the recent past.
>

> --

If I recall correctly, on the first line you give the protocol and
server, e.g., "ftp://ftp.somemirror.com," and the second line is the
path on that server, and looks something like "pub/fedora/....." or
"pub/linux/....." or something similar.  Yea, I saw that slashes were
added, so on the first line I didn't add an ending slash and on the
second line I didn't include the leading slash.

BTW, I found that FTP worked for the entire install while HTTP started
to work but after a while was blocked.  I guessed (and it was just a
guess) that the repeated HTTP requests were interpreted by a firewall as
some sort of attack.  If I tried to view the site with a browser I'd get
blocked for about 15 minutes or so, then it'd start to allow me in
again.  This was on several mirrors.  FWIW.

-- Mark C, Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution