F7 repo contains the packages that its install dvd has not. Why?

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Thu Oct 25 05:51:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 21:19 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Is repoquery lying or is there that much duplication due to multilib?
> Checking a local F7 i386 mirror (with no debuginfo or source package),
> I get:
>
> 8.7G    fedora/mirror/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/
> 5.8G    fedora/mirror/updates/7/i386
> 15G

I did it the hard way with some awk-fu, grabbing the Size value from
each package in the development repository, then adding them up:

$ repoquery --info --all --repoid=development | grep Size \
	| awk -F ':' --assign sum=0 '{sum=sum+$2} END {print sum}'
32517444423

That's in bytes, so just over 30 GB, as I had noted. :)

A surprisingly small amount of this appears to be duplication of 32-bit
libraries and applications, as can be seen by using the "--archlist"
option to repoquery. Size, in bytes, of various arches in the
development repo are as follows:

x86_64: 20808445168
noarch:  6937458487
i386:    4754678830
i686:      16861938

This shows that approximately much of the repo is purely 64-bit or
arch-independent packages (approximately 27 gigabytes), and the
remaining 4 gigabytes or so is duplicates of the 32-bit stuff needed for
multilib.

(IANAE, however!)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479