Clipboard behavior

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 25 18:49:45 UTC 2007

Is there something in a normal stock Fedora 7 system that messes with
the clipboard? I have a program (nedit) that often puts out messages
saying that it cannot copy anything to the clipboard because it is
locked. I have been using nedit on redhat 6-9 and FC4, and have never
seen that message on any of those systems.

This is with nedit compiled against lesstif. On all the previous OS
versions, I compiled against the real motif. However, when I compile
nedit against openmotif on F7, attempting to copy causes nedit to crash,
so that is even worse than occasionally getting a locked clipboard.

Perhaps there is something that has changed in the X server, because if
I login to the FC4 system remotely from my F7 system, and run nedit,
then I get the same symptoms. That is, an nedit which is compiled
against openmotif on FC4 and which works fine when run locally on FC4,
will crash when running remotely on the F7 server when attempting to copy.

By the way, copy/paste with the mouse select/middle button works fine,
and never complains of a locked clipboard.