resizing LVM partitions

yonas Abraham yabraham2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 00:13:05 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Terry Polzin <foxec208 at wowway.com> wrote:
> On Thursday October 25 2007, yonas Abraham wrote:
> > On 10/25/07, Dave Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> > > lvresize preparation - how 'ensure filesystem shrunk'?

> > >    lvresize - resize a logical volume
> > >
> > > SYNOPSIS[bla bla]
> > >
> > > DESCRIPTION
> > >        lvresize allows you to resize a logical volume.  Be careful when
> > > reduc- ing a logical volume's size,  because  data  in  the  reduced
> > > part  is lost!!!   You should therefore ensure that any filesystem on the
> > > volume is shrunk first so that the extents that are to be removed are
> > > not  in use.
> > >
> > > so how do I do that? resize2fs
> >
> > for ext3, you are right,
> >
> > resize2fs followed by lvresize.
> >
> > I like the syetem-config-lvm for this issue actually. I have used it
> > for a live ext3 systems and it worked flawlessly.
> >
> > But first BackUP your staff if you have very important stuff.
> >
> > /yonas
> Actually, you've got the order of the commands jacked.
>
> Perform the resize operation on the LV before the FS

 I am quit  sure that you have to  shirk the FS first before you
shirink the LV.  doing the otherway round can lead to lose of data.
Read the lvresize man page to be sure "  You should therefore ensure
that any filesystem on the volume is shrunk first so that the extents
that are to be removed are  not  in use."

To avoid this confusion I like the system-config-lvm GUI. It does all
for you in the correct order.

/Yonas