Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 26 03:32:27 UTC 2007

John Bradley wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> Thank you for your prompt response.  As for learning my lesson, here's
> hoping!!
>
> The message displayed when trying to "startx" is as follows:
>
> "xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.2517
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH
>
> Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and that
> "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server for your
> display.  Possible server names include:
>
> Xorg   X.org  displays
>
> xinit: Server error."
>
> Please explain "Booting to init 3"....

You probably don't need to do that...

But, it means that when are booting hit "return" while the boot splash
screen is up and use "e" to edit the kernel parameters to add "3" to the end
of the line.  This will not attempt to start X server.  Again, probably not
needed.

--
Whatever doesn't succeed in two months and a half in California will
never succeed.