iptables: drop or reject?

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 26 11:25:02 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> /me wonders if you could create a firewall rule that redirected them to
>>> connect to their own IP, after a while, so that they attack themselves.
>
> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez:
>> Hehe, that reminds me what I was working as a sysadmin some years ago and we
>> did exactly what you're talking about against a box outside our network that
>> was trying to DoS us, was really funny :-)
>
> I was told a tale of some clever-clogs on IRC proclaiming that they
> could take anybody off the air, any time that they wanted.  So someone
> in the channel told them, "my IP is 127.0.0.1, try your hardest."  'twas
> amusing to all others in the channel, watching them repeatedly
> disappear.  ;-)

Along the same lines I've given the address 'root at mouse-potato.com' to
sites which I knew were going to end up sending spam.  I can't remember
where I heard about the mouse-potato.com domain, but it's a useful thing
to have:

$ host mouse-potato.com
mouse-potato.com has address 127.0.0.1
mouse-potato.com mail is handled by 10 127.0.0.1.

It's also funny telling a web designer that someone has stolen the site
they're working on and is hosting it at www.mouse-potato.com

Simon.