Postgres: DB restoration from splinters.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Oct 26 15:08:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 19:59:13 +0700,
  Strong <strong_yethumble at pochta.ru> wrote:
> /var/lib/pgsql dir has been deleted... But the process has been
> aborted. On grep queries I get positive results. My question is: how
> to get maximum from the ashes (field names, data type, table names,
> DB names, data itself)? May You found one day a tool that can be
> helpful in this situation? Big thanks in advance.

You are porbably better off asking on the postgres list. If any of the data
files have been damaged, you aren't going to reliably get things back.
The best you are going to get is to extract some data and make some guesses
as to how things should really be.

The standard answer to this question is to restore from backup, but I suspect
that you wouldn't have asked in you had one.