[Fedora] Re: iptables: drop or reject?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Oct 26 15:30:11 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Dropping packets from the ident port can potentially cause problems. Sometimes
> servers will check back there to get a user id (this goes back to when people
> mostly shared computers, it is pretty pointless today) and if you drop packets
> things may stall until the connection times out rather than giving up
> immediately after being told ident isn't available.

    One of the first things that I always shut off, since the days of
RH5, was the ident daemon and later on the port itself.  I don't care to
use it, I've never had problems not running it and I don't see any
reason why I should either.  I don't think this would be a problem
either, but then maybe you'll prove me wrong.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6