Fedora without RPM?

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Fri Oct 26 16:29:32 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Fedora without RPM?
From: "Isaac Serafino" <i at findmercy.com>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 10/26/2007 06:40 AM
> Serious dependency trouble and bloatware. Does Fedora have anything to
> prevent that, like apt, urpmi, or portage?
>
> On 10/25/07, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Isaac Serafino wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way to get and use Fedora without the RPM program or any
>>> RPM packages, for instance, using an alternative package manager, or
>>> compiling everything from the source?
>> Yhy would you want to do that?
>>
>> --

Sounds like Fedora is simply not the distribution for you. Look at
Gentoo if you want to compile everything from scratch. If that is too
"bloated" try DSL. Fedora depends almost completely on rpm and uses yum
to manage the dependencies.

Just so you know, though, unless you use something like yum or portage
or apt-get you will always be dealing with dependency problems. I would
also add that regardless of distribution any given program will have
pretty much the same dependencies.