BIOS upgrading

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:56:25 UTC 2007

On 26/10/2007, Marcel Janssen <korgull at home.nl> wrote:
> I wonder how other fedora users upgrade their BIOS when they need it and would
> be happy to hear about other creative and preferably simple solutions (but
> leaving the floppy drive on my dusty shelf).

For Dell systems it is particularly trivial under linux:

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Oss/Firmware_Tools
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware

firmware-tools and firmware-dell-addons are in the Fedora repos (yum
install firmware*).

There is also the biosdisk tool which automates creating a bootable
dos image with the firmware added, and adding it to the bootloader

http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml    (scroll down a bit to biosdisk).

HTH