Fedora without RPM?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Oct 26 19:23:59 UTC 2007

Isaac Serafino wrote:
> It sounds like Fedora just still isn't the distro for me. Maybe I'll
> go with LFS, Slackware, Gentoo, a Debian-based distro, or something.

I gotta tell you, I've never had anything but trouble from Debian
distros.  kubuntu is fine, but I'm not a huge fan of debians packaging
and management of configuration files.  Opinion only.

But I love Gentoo.  No upgrade cycle, good.  Long compile times, not so
good for a server, okay for a desktop if you don't mind the wait for a
new version of something.

In all honesty, I've found yum (and RPM) to be the best package manager
out there that doesn't require you to compile your packages at need.

FWIW.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support