Bug report

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Oct 26 22:33:30 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>    Hi Les, I just reboot to the SATA hard drive after doing two
>> things. First I found bootable partitions on both drives. The PARTA
>> had the Swap partition /dev/sda1 bootable :-)  and the SATA had the
>> partition with Linux /dev/sda3 bootable. I erased both with fdisk and
>> then rebooted to the SATA using this in grub.conf:
>>
>> root (hd1,2)
>> chainload
>>
>> It booted up exactly like it did with the old grub stuff. So I will
>> now update my grub paper I am still working on. I will upgrade what
>> it takes to boot up another grub. This is without doubt the best way
>> to boot several Linux or windows systems with grub.
>
> Which old grub stuff?  Do you mean the chainloaded drive is still
> recognized as /dev/sdf (or whatever it was when you didn't chainload
> boot) if you omit the 'makeactive'?

    What I mean is grub.conf is now as perfect as you can get. It boots
both hd and it works fine.

    Alas with the PARTA f7 booted as it is now fdisk still finds the
SATA hd at /dev/sdf so no change here. I am ready to say grub had zero
to do with the changes in partition markers.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User