Restricted SSH access

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Oct 27 00:55:47 UTC 2007

Vladimir Kovacevic wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm working on embeded Fedora on Atmel and have a problem with
> restricting ssh access for user that log on to system.
> The only privilege I want to give them is executing some programs that I
> wrote (permit any view on a system directories except /home/user_name).
> I looked in /etc/ssh_config but did't find what I was looking wor. Also,
> tried with assigning a user /bin/bash console with -r (restricted)
> parameter (set it up on /etc/passwd)
> but then I couldn't log on with putty or WinSCP to system.
> Any ideas for simple solution for my problem?

Sure, remove login by password and only allow login by authentication,
the limit the key used to one command, using "command=xxx" in the
authorized_keys file (see man sshd). Now make that command a tiny "pick
a command" interface you write in C, python, perl... so they connect
using their individual key, and you allow them to do only what you you
approve. Should take about two hours to actually do it, assuming you
have the commands they run all written.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>