[OT] High Performance Samba???

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 16:10:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

This can be rather silly question but I have few questions regarding
file and print sharing implementation using CIFS/SMB based protocol.

Condition:
=========================
# File Type: Media File
# Client OS: Windows XP
# File access mode: Read only
# Heavy use expected
# Seeking of file position is expected to be very heavy since client
can forward or rewind the media file as they wish
# Environment: LAN
# No. of Clients: 30-50
=========================

Questions
==========
How can I use my regular desktop PCs as file servers to support these
number of clients? Since I have heard about Samba clustering (but not
very familiar with it), I am thinking that I can make use of ordinary
PCs instead of buying a giant server machine. Can this be possible???

Another side question is: Since SMB protocol has reputation of being
noisy which can clog the network, is it even possible to have 50 units
in one segment? (this implementation is based on simple workgroup, no
domains and domain controllers).

Is there an equivalent clustering solution if it is implemented using
windows OS?

I am asking this because my experience in this matter is limited to 10
computers only and don't know any details about protocol itself.

Thanks in advance