fc6 nearing eol but f7 not useable yet (rant or feedback?)

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sat Oct 27 16:48:18 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Blame Fedora's GNOME Desktop Team for this mess. We KDE SIG members are
> fighting as we can to get the menu entries to at least _include_ the real name
> of the apps. (There's no reason they can't include both the name and the
> generic name, e.g. "Pup Package Updater".

I hope this comes off too because IMHO the menu layout and structure in
Fedora is poor, some of this probably originates from the freedesktop
specification. I would love to see some of the insanity of subdirs in
the menus sorted out too, the three directories called "Administration",
"Settings" and "System" are a good example. I guess they are supposed to
differ in some subtle way, but this isn't obvious and that's clear from
what apps end up appearing in them.

>> Its toolbar icon has no properties associated with it
>> so I can't even tell what it launches.
>
> In KDE, you can right-click and "Edit this entry...", which will both tell you
> what is being launched and allow you to fix the name.
>
>> The app itself has no "About"
>> button.  In fact, one must perform command line forensics to even find
>> out that the program's name is "pup".  (I prefer the spanish
>> pronunciation.)  Why, oh why, is every package preselected?  Why is the
>> "update list" window not resizeable?  Absolutely one of the worst user
>> interfaces I have ever used.  Actually, it's hard to call it a UI since
>> there is no interaction allowed except "click the mouse several hundred
>> times", quit, or apply, and it provides no user feedback except when it
>> barfs on itself.  Is it hanging?  Is it running?  Is it stalled?
>> Absolutely no way to tell.  Oh, a dependency issue.  Option of ignore or
>> continue?  No way, those choices are not available.  Error out.
>
> Pup was not designed for experienced users.

And providing no feedback is better for inexperienced users? I don't
think inexperienced users would suddenly get confused by the addition of
an about menu for example.

--
Ian Chapman.