[OT] High Performance Samba???

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Oct 27 22:06:54 UTC 2007

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This can be rather silly question but I have few questions regarding
> file and print sharing implementation using CIFS/SMB based protocol.
>
> Condition:
> =========================
> # File Type: Media File
> # Client OS: Windows XP
> # File access mode: Read only
> # Heavy use expected
> # Seeking of file position is expected to be very heavy since client
> can forward or rewind the media file as they wish
> # Environment: LAN
> # No. of Clients: 30-50
> =========================
>
> Questions
> ==========
> How can I use my regular desktop PCs as file servers to support these
> number of clients? Since I have heard about Samba clustering (but not
> very familiar with it), I am thinking that I can make use of ordinary
> PCs instead of buying a giant server machine. Can this be possible???

Before you get all hot and sweaty about fixing a problem, first see
whether you have one. See what load you can accommodate.

fwiw IBM figured in supporting 100 clients from OS/2 Warp Server on a
Pentium. Remember, a really good Pentium could go as fast as 233 Mhz.

It's true clients are more demanding these days, but then so can servers
offer more.

So, see what you can do. Then worry about fixing any problems you can see.

> Another side question is: Since SMB protocol has reputation of being
> noisy which can clog the network, is it even possible to have 50 units
> in one segment? (this implementation is based on simple workgroup, no
> domains and domain controllers).

How many depends in part on how good your hardware is. Gbit LAN would
support more then 10 Mbit lan.

Under some workloads, 10 Mbit won't support one client - I recently
wondered why my backup took hours. When I found out, I binned the 10
Mbit switch.

--

Cheers
John