fc6 nearing eol but f7 not useable yet (rant or feedback?)

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Oct 27 23:38:39 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The Centos project follows the requirements, replacing only what is
> necessary so they maintain bug for bug compatibility

IIRC, the phrase "bug for bug compatibility" was used by the Wine
project to describe the fact that their implementation matches Windows
behavior, which is sometimes "buggy" with regards to their
documentation.  If the Wine project built an implementation that was
faithful to the documentation, some Windows applications which relied on
the actual behavior of Windows (buggy though it may be) would not work.

There is no reason to believe that the CentOS group will not correct
bugs simply because Red Hat does not.  Their aim is binary, not "bug for
bug" compatibility.

Can we please avoid using that phrase to describe Linux distributions?