Yum problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 28 14:33:10 UTC 2007

Claude Jones:
> I use the moment's glance at what an update is going to do for
> self-education; in the Smart GUI, you can click on various
> options to get details about packages - there are typically up to a
> thousand or so packages on a typical system, and there are many whose
> purpose/function I don't know - spending a few moments a week doing
> this, looking at the details of two or three programs that are being
> updated, over years and years, has taught me a lot about the system,
> and provided me with countless leads for further investigation...

I tend to do the same.  There's nearly always something that you haven't
seen before, and some of them do make you wonder what on Earth they're
for.  I tend to sit there doing a rpm -qi in another terminal window to
see what they are.  If it's not an update, then I'll do it afterwards.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.