nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 21:48:49 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>     I was one who bought a new computer and until today could not tell
>>> you had a particular nvitia video card.
>>>

>> If I was going to buy a new computer and wanted to run Linux on it
>> I would at least google for "<new computer> Linux"
>> to see what problems I was likely to meet.
>>

>    I did. But it was the motherboard since the computer was a kit from a
> supplier. what I got was many web pages that were thrilled with how well
> it worked. And another thing you forget. At that time I was not aware
> that nvidia was bad. I had never even heard of it.

Nvidia isn't 'bad' in any normal sense.  They just have not made source
code available for their drivers available under GPL terms as some small
fraction of users would like to demand.  It it the fact the Linux will
not provide a stable interface (so a working binary module continues to
work) and the fedora project's policy not to cooperate with anyone with
different terms than their own that make it difficult to use the
combination.  I'd guess that it's easier to change the OS than a
motherboard chip...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com