nvidia

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Oct 28 22:43:12 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 10/28/2007 4:11 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> David Boles wrote:

>>> The Linux users should get of their collective lazy a$$es and setup their
>>> systems to suit themselves if they want to use non FOSS packages.
>>>
>>> Since the current subject is Nvidia, a Windows install, for example, comes
>>> with a 'it works' Nvidia video driver. Just like Linux does. *Not* the
>>> fancy one from Nvidia that does all of the fancy stuff. The 'Stupid
>>> Windows User' must go to the Nvidia site, find the proper driver for his
>>> video card and install it to get the fancy video stuff.
>>>
>>> So what you are saying or implying here? That 'Stupid Windows Users' know
>>> more about their systems and how to set them up than 'Brilliant Linux
>>> Users' do?   ;-)
>>>

>>     The Windows user has a screen with a pointer on it. He can use that
>> screen forever and be happy. If he is at home and wants to run Flight
>> Simulator he needs to get the better driver and the instruction on
>> flight sim include how to get it.
>>
>>     Fedora users discover a broken screen sometimes without a pointer
>> and that is how it works. Stupid since there are alternatives.
>>

> I didn't say that you should *not* use the Nvidia drivers Karl. Only that
> you should be prepared to do the work needed to do that. And that you
> should understand just *why* Fedora can *not* do this. And just why the
> people on the 'third party sites' might be a little behind your needs.
> Thinks like they might have real jobs. They are doing it because they want
> to do it. And for no money. Kinda' hard to be upset with someone who is
> giving you their time and efforts for free. That's all.

    Well after all this "why we can't do a dam thing" let's consider how
to help a new user of Fedora x who stumbles onto this list and is asking
for help with the usual nvidia problems. We need someone to get those
people headed in the right direction. I will be willing to do that. As I
looked today nvidia is a big company making a lot of money. My computer
is full of there stuff. Since Fedora x will just work terrible with
nvidia I think we must be ready to help.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User