nvidia

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Oct 29 07:35:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:24:35 +0800
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> OK...  By that I take it there is no one universally accepted definition of
> those terms.  Otherwise, there would be no need for all the different
> flavors of the "free" licenses.  GPLv2, GPLv3, FreeBSD, etc...

Each one of those licenses serves a particular purpose or need.  (Whether each
one is actually required is a different question.)

With regard to Free Software in particular, in the modern computer industry,
the generally accepted definition of Free Software (notice the capitalization)
is the definition that is provided and promoted by the Free Software
Foundation.  Which is what I sent you to see.

It's a kind of an "industry standard definition", for lack of a better term.

Many industrial trades, for example, use otherwise common terms that mean
something "special" in terms of their specific industry.  Free Software is a
good example of an otherwise common term that has a special meaning in the
computer industry.