nvidia

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 09:10:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:56:36 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank Cox wrote:
>

> >> Then, even if you do make it, you'll have to establish why this isn't
> >> ordinary fair use of an interface required to interoperate with the kernel.
> >
> > Because it's contrary to the license under which the Linux kernel is
> > distributed.  I don't think it can be made much clearer than that, frankly.
> >

> It's not at all clear why the kernel license should control someone
> else's work.

If the work is derived it isn't someone elses work, any more than if you
add a scene to a movie and redistribute it. Thats the fundamental
question - is the Nvidia driver a derived work. Some people believe no,
some believe yes, nobody "knows" in the US legal sense because nobody has
been to court to find out - and I suspect neither side considers it worth
finding out.

Alan