nvidia

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Oct 29 12:13:29 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:29:09 -0500
>> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Except that the people
>>> providing the binary do have a reason to care if it works.
>>>
>> Until they decide that it's time to sell you another card and discontinue their
>> binary blob for the model that you already have.
>>

> You mean like when a developer of an opensource project decides he doesn't
> want or can't continue to support the project and it closes down for lack of
> others picking up the mantle?
>
> Of course nvidia doesn't do what you are suggesting.  They have their legacy
> channel as in:
>
> Latest Legacy GPU version (1.0-71xx series): 71.86.01
> Latest Legacy GPU version (1.0-96xx series): 96.43.01

    As I pointed out yesterday Nvidia is a HUGE company and they make
many things besides a VGA card. They are aware that the VGA card be it
in a motherboard or a pci card will not work on Linux. So they put some
people to work to make drivers for Linux and they ran into problems with
the Linux world. The kernel kept changing was one. But they kept at it
and we have have good drivers for Linux.

    Now the Linux world is mad because Nvidia will not share the source
code. Has anyone asked for the source code?  There is  likely a rule at
Nvidia that no software written by them goes out with source code. This
is the Microsoft idea.

     So let us count our blessings. Nvidia is spending big bucks to make
sure their hardware runs with Linux.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User