nvidia

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:58:49 UTC 2007

On 29/10/2007, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>

> >> There are many ways the situation could be improved for the user.
> >
> > The proper way to improve the situation for the user is for Nvidia to abide by
> > the GPL and provide their drivers in the normal and correct manner.
>
> They have claimed that they can't because parts are licensed from other
> parties.

A fairly lame excuse - they could still free up what they own and make
a massive difference to the community, who would then no doubt jump in
and replace the proprietory parts - see recent Sun/Java for example.
Given that the Nouveau guys have done quite a lot already, if NVidia
released what they could under a free license, I am sure that in no
time we'd have functional drivers.

J.