nvidia

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 29 13:41:34 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:

> If I give away copies of someone elses movies and permit redistribution
> then thats still piracy. The question is one of derived works and what
> the derived work boundary is.

I think Alan Cox -
whom I greatly admire for his many contributions to Linux -
is being disingenuous in concentrating on the legal aspects
of nVidia drivers.

Some obscure legal issue may arise,
but the fact of the matter is nVidia's closed drivers
would not be acceptable to Fedora with or without legalities.

In my (limited) experience closed drivers create serious problems,
as you never know if they will work with newer kernels
or other software, so you cannot rely on them too much.