nvidia

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 15:18:31 UTC 2007

Today Les Mikesell did spake thusly:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> There are many ways the situation could be improved for the user.  The
>>> best I would hope for would be the inclusion of a configuration for a yum
>>> repository containing the drivers currently maintained in the livna repo.
>>> If that's too much to ask, then a link to the repo from the fedora project
>>> site would be better than nothing. Actually including the driver or
>>> maintaining a stable interface would be too much to expect here.
>>
>> Again, Fedora will only include Free and open source software. Supporting
>> non-free software is any manner is a explicit non-objective.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives
>
> We all know that the real objective of fedora is to get a lot of users to do
> the beta testing on what will be the next RHEL after which they quickly stop
> supporting those tested versions and move on.  Maybe they get enough testers
> without having to be bothered making it convenient for nvidia, vmware, etc.
> users.

If that were true then my FC6 media server running an old NVIDIA card I
had kicking around probably wouldn't work, would it?

Bloody drama queens ;)

FWIW, I've always used Nvidia (cept my laptop, which is Intel) and I've
never had a problem with any of it, cept for dev versions of compiz/XGL
not quite working right when I was playing a year or so ago.

If you want to run linux, you do some investigation online. Google is your
friend. It's pretty easy to set up the nvidia drivers, the nv drivers are
included out of the box so it'll all work anyway, the only thing that you
won't get is 3d acceleration.

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003

Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you.  Their tastes
may not be the same.
 		-- George Bernard Shaw