nvidia

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 16:54:52 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> In my experience, open source drivers have as many or more problems than
>> the closed source versions.  _If_ you are Alan Cox or some number of
>> hackers with equivalently specialized skills that you could probably
>> count on one hand, having the source code available might be of some
>> value when the supplied binary doesn't work.  The rest of us report the
>> bug and wait, and again in my experience over the last couple of
>> decades, the closed source providers are at least equally responsive in
>> this scenario.
>
> The other category of people helped are those with enough money to hire
> a driver expert to fix the driver for them. That doesn't cover (almost
> all) one off users. But large enough organizations could potentially
> afford this.

The issue is theoretical at best.  In the unlikely event that access to
a video card breaks due to undiscovered bugs in the original _and_
vendor refusal to fix it, I'd expect it to be cheaper to either replace
Linux or the card than to hire an expert to temporarily revive the
now-dead combination.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com