Email attachment.dat

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Oct 30 09:49:12 UTC 2007

Simon Slater wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 10:38 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Simon Slater wrote:
>>> 	G'day again
>>> 		This may be a ver basic or even stupid question, but I'll ask anyway
>>> (if I show my ignorance, hopefully I can increase in knowledge).  Some
>>> emails received have an attachment called attachment.dat.  What is this
>>> for and what is in it?  I do not open attachments unless I know who they
>>> are from & what they are for.
>> Strangely enough this was just discussed on the RHELv5 list....
>>
>> Go here:

>> and check out the archives with the subject "[rhelv5-list] winmail.dat"
>>
> Thanks Ed

i'm the one who proposed the original question (and I'm very happy with
the answer, especially as there's a debianesque box here where an
apt-get install tnef got the requisite software.

However, I'm not sure that "attachment,dat" is the same thing, tho it
won't  hurt to fine out.

Most important is the source of the email; if its' from someone you
don't know claiming to be in hospital nearing death and with the small
some of $US10,000,000 or so looking for a good home, well I've had two
of those today. OTOH they didn't have attachment.dat on them either,
that I noticed.

--

Cheers
John